Some reasons why we started making products from recycled textile and plastic waste with social benefits:
- The fashion industry is the world’s second-dirtiest industry and is often associated with an unethical and inhumane approach to employees in manufacturing.
- We purchase 80 billion pieces of clothing in the world per year, which is 400% more than 20 years ago.
- The average life span of one piece of clothing is only around 3 years.
- Not even brands with take-back programs can reuse their clothing. They recycle only 0.1% of it.
- 50 percent of the plastics we consume are used only once and then thrown away.
- Currently we can reuse only 5 percent of the plastics that we have manufactured.
- Every year we throw away enough plastic to stretch around the Earth 4 times.